Harry Potter Fans Would Enjoy This

Ice Wolves - Amie Kaufman

I almost didn't read this when I saw it was middle school level. It's hard, I'm a well aged adult, yes well aged. I like to think I'm mature and need adult level book to be entertained. But, I really loved the Illuminae Files she wrote so I dove in. I am not not mature or this was really good writing. I loved it.
The story follows two orphans, twins as they struggle to live free in a world separated by war and hate. There are humans who need protection, wolves who provide it and dragons who cause all the trouble. When one twin changes and the other goes another way the questions start forming and the truth slowly starts to unfold. One goes to be sacrificed one goes to a magical military school. There are a lot of unknowns, lies, hidden secrets and magic all new to them. One of the twins struggles with the need to save the other twin and new friendships who to trust. Meanwhile something is not adding up, and the teachers know more.
I got Harry Potter like vibes from this. Young magical child who never knew he held magic, finds he is so much more and attends a school for other like him, where a smart loner type girl befriends him. That is were the likeness ends. I think fans of Harry Potter might really enjoy this. There is no sex, no romance.